2021 South Dakota Changes, Clarifications & Reminders
- Eliminate Kick as a competition category.
- Routine Limitation: Limit the number of dance routines to any two styles of routines for all competitions. The two routine scores will be averaged to determine the Grand Champion for Dance. Pom does not have to be one of the routines performed.
- Change the tie-breaking procedure to read as follows. Should a tie occur for the overall championship placement of teams, the following criteria will be used sequentially to break the tie:
- The highest score in a routine, regardless of category;
- Least amount of total safety deductions from the technical safety score sheet;
- If a tie remains, the two teams tied will be co-champions.
- Approve Rubric and Scoresheet modifications.
- Follow the NFHS hair rule and eliminate the SD deviation for hair. Hair must be worn in the manner that is appropriate for the activity involved.
- Number of Judges: three performance and two safety judges will be used for the State Meet (local decision for regular season).
- Bases of a t-lift may walk only. Must have two bases for each person lifted.
- Inquiry Process: Upon completion of each routine, the safety judge will meet with a designated coach in front of the judges’ table to inform coach of any safety violations. A brief explanation will be shared with the coach. If conference becomes confrontational, an unsporting deduction may be assessed.
- Male Participation: Eliminate female only language from the Competitive Dance Handbook and revisit number of male participation on a yearly basis to decide upon extended categories to accommodate male participation.
- The length of the skirts shall be no longer than mid-calf for safety purposes.
- If wearing sheer material, two layers are required, one of which is not nude color. Language in bold added for clarity.
- Require that all coaches, head or assistant, paid or volunteer, for SDHSAA fall sports complete the NFHSLearn.com “Heat Illness Prevention Course” PRIOR to assuming their coaching duties each school year.
South Dakota Modifications
- No glitter hairspray is allowed.
- Head judge will be designated for both cheer and dance. Judges scores from low to high be no more than 10 points.