2022 South Dakota Changes, Clarifications & Reminders
- For contests against out-of-state opponents, seed points will be determined by including all contests (regular or postseason) played by the out-of-state opponent through the South Dakota cutoff date.
- No regular season contests may be played after the cutoff date for each class set by the SDHSAA.
- Allow for Class AA volleyball teams to play up to three matches vs. Class A or Class B opponents, or in an “out-of-state” tournament, without a deduction of seed points. These would be the first three contests vs. Class A and B opponents as they happen on the team schedule. Any other contests, after the three allowed, would result in a deduction of seed points as defined in seed point system.
- Eliminate the handshake after the introduction of players. R1 will sound the whistle and motion teams to go to their respective benches. The timer will start the one-minute clock upon the R1’s whistle. The warning whistle will sound when 15 seconds remain on the clock and teams are expected to be on the court in positions for the R2 to complete the lineup check prior to the final horn.
- Warm-Up (15 minutes): three minutes shared ball handling on each team’s respective side of the net, six minutes visiting team on entire playing floor, six minutes home team on entire playing floor. When one team has the entire playing floor, the opposing team may utilize the surrounding area. Only roster personnel are allowed on the floor. Warm-up time will not start until the pre-match conference is concluded.
- The regular season will end on the cut-off date and matches played after the cut-off date will not count toward seed points for any post-season matches.
- A complete and accurate roster shall be updated online one week prior to region play in order for region chairpersons to have the most current information. No changes may be made after that time without SDHSAA approval.
- Require that all coaches, head or assistant, paid or volunteer, for SDHSAA fall sports complete the NFHSLearn.com “Heat Illness Prevention Course” PRIOR to assuming their coaching duties each school year.
South Dakota Modifications
- Pre-wrap is not allowed as a headband and/or hair control device.
- Headbands, if worn, must be black, white, or the predominate color similar to that of the torso of the uniform (excluding the libero) and must be the same for all participants. Any headband worn cannot be tied.
- South Dakota will not follow NFHS intermission rules.