2021 South Dakota Changes, Clarifications & Reminders
- Co-ed Division Revised: If a team has one or less male competitors on the squad, they will compete in the Stunting/Tumbling category. If a team has more than one male competitor, they must compete in the Co-ed Division of Stunting/Tumbling. Cheer would then have two categories: Stunting/Tumbling and Co-ed Stunting/Tumbling. For the category of Co-ed Stunting/Tumbling to compete for the Overall Co-ed Grand Champion, there must be a minimum of four Co-ed teams entered. Awards will be based on the number of teams competing in that category. The Co-ed category will be one class only. NOTE: All Stunting/Tumbling teams (both Co-ed and non-Co-ed) will compete in one category with the team placements in one category.
- Approve Cheer Rubric clarifications.
- Follow the NFHS rule on hair rule and eliminate the SD deviation for hair: Hair must be worn in the manner that is appropriate for the activity involved.
- Number of Judges: three performance and two safety judges will be used for the State Meet (local decision for regular season).
- Inquiry Process: Upon completion of each routine, the safety judge will meet with a designated coach in front of the judges table to inform coach of any safety violations. A brief explanation will be shared with the coach. If conference becomes confrontational, an unsporting deduction may be assessed.
- Require that all coaches, head or assistant, paid or volunteer, for SDHSAA fall sports complete the NFHSLearn.com “Heat Illness Prevention Course” PRIOR to assuming their coaching duties each school year.
South Dakota Modifications
- No glitter hairspray is allowed.
- Head judge will be designated for both cheer and dance. Judges scores from low to high be no more than 10 points.